Sunday, August 14, 2011

Nautical Wreath: Yarn & Recycled Fabric

 The first weekend in August, my family joined my husband's family at the lakehouse in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin!
It was an absolute blast.
I'll give more on the trip later in this post...

For now,  I'm so excited to show this little "thank you" gift I made for my mother-in-law for hosting all of us for the weekend!

I've been wanting to make a yarn/fabric wreath for quite awhile. I just didn't have a reason to make one. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped on it! 

 To make it I used a 14 inch straw wreath, lots of red & white yarn, various fabrics, my husband's old dress shirt fabric & buttons, and jute.

A few weeks ago, I walked into our pantry/laundry room and found something unusual in the trash. 
I pulled out a perfectly worn light blue button up shirt. 
My husband, had thrown it away!
Being the craft-a-holic and DIY project creator around our home, I began brainstorming what I could make with this old shirt....

 See the light blue rosette in the picture below? 
 Yep. That is the sleeve & a button from the cuff!



Considering the fact that I had no idea what I was doing when I began,  I love the way it turned out! Hope my mother-in-law likes it, too! :)




 Thanks to Jen over at Scissors and Spatulas, I was able to create a super fun wreath! She has some incredible talents and has created beautiful wreaths herself.  Check out her summer wreath & tutorial here.  Love it!


Here are a few pictures from our wonderful weekend trip to Lake Geneva!

We enjoyed boat rides...

celebrated my little bro's 22nd birthday...

enjoyed the refreshingly clear & cool lake water...

ate some delicious food...

watched some unbelievable sunsets...

loved on our Momma's...
(my beautiful mom & mom-in-law!)

and spent some good Phillip/Fowler quality time together!

Everyone had a great time & we're sad the weekend its over.
Maybe we'll just have to do it all again next summer?! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment