Monday, April 30, 2012

Family Room Tour

A few weeks ago I took you guys on a tour of our house. Hope you enjoyed it! To see the house, click here. Thanks for all of the positive feedback. You guys made my day, week,  MONTH!  A few of you wanted to know the names of paint colors, furniture pieces, & things so I thought I’d give you a tour of each room individually. Let’s start with the family room, shall we? This is my favorite room of the house & it is where we spend most of our time!

IMG_8396
Just for fun, here’s a little BEFORE picture of our family room when the previous owners lived here:
picture-uh=8df39bb9423c185b14cbf7c274bcd3a-ps=c391503286f89c62196cfa80e6317bIMG_8414
I love this Before/After contrast because you can actually see the focal point in the room: Our lovely fireplace! I was a little nervous {and husband was a tad bit skeptical of my bold taupe/white paint choices} but I absolutely love the way it turned out! We used Lowe’s Valspar Signature “Smoked Oyster” for the walls and “Cream Delight” for the brick fireplace. I definitely recommend the Valspar Signature paints if you’re going to be painting over another neutral color because it has the paint & primer in one.  It also has great coverage.  We probably did 2 heavy coats & an additional lighter coat on the walls. However, if you’re painting over a mural or a bolder color,  I would recommend priming the walls first and then paint. Of course, we’re no professionals, but this is just what we’ve found to work best for us.

IMG_8403IMG_8409
This is the only room in the house where we actually have mostly “new” pieces of furniture.  “New” mostly meaning, new to us! Ha. We bought the couch, love seat and wingback chair {matching ottoman coming soon!} from a place called Freed’s Furniture in Dallas. Some friends of ours recommended this place to us, and we really liked it.  They have great prices on quality furniture & have been easy to work with. The couch set, love seat, chair & ottoman set is called, “Walden.” We’ve been happy with it so far. 
As soon as my Dad found out we were getting new couches he asked, “Oooh do they do anything cool? Like lean back or turn into a fold-out bed?” My response, “Well, you can sit on them. Does that count?! Sorry Dad, they’re not as cool as your leather reclining sofa set.” Haha. Oh well. Maybe when I’m a real grown up like you, then I’ll have cool(er) couches.  Like I said,  they’re not too fancy-shmancy, but they look nice & do their job well!
The fabulous rug was a STEAL from Pottery Barn. Okay, no, I did not actually steal it. Don’t go tattle on me! In January, I stopped in Pottery Barn to browse & spend my gift card from Christmas {Sidenote: I’m so bad at saving gift cards. As soon as I get one, I have to spend it! Anyone else that way?} I decided to purchase the two curtain panels you see in this room {which were on sale!} They are called, the Vanessa Floral Drape. They no longer sell the neutral panels, unfortunately, but I think the blue & red panels are super cute, too!
Okay, back to this fabulous rug.  I was waiting in line to check out & I noticed they had two 8x10 rugs that were on serious clearance {like 75% off!}. At the time, we had just moved into our house.  Our house is all hardwood floors and we didn’t have any rugs at the time! I loved the color, it matched most of the other things in our house, and it was a GREAT price! So, what did I do? I called my husband and explained the whole situation…and crossed my fingers! Ha! Fortunately, my gift cards covered a portion of the cost & he said okay! Normally, I would not have purchased a rug from Pottery Barn because they are so. stinkin. expensive. but, since this rug was 75% off, it was way cheaper than any other 8x10 rugs I had seen. Even discount stores like, Home Goods & Marshalls still sold their 8x10’s for $400-$500 dollars at the cheapest. This rug was HALF of that! SCORE! The rug is an 8x10 and is called, “Janelle Rug Brown.”
IMG_8404
For Christmas, my sweet Mom & Dad got us a new “chest” that we use as our coffee table. It is from World Market & is a part of the “Sourav” Collection.  After browsing on Craig’s List, I found a listing for a lady who had two end tables that were the same “Sourav” brand from World Market! She was selling them for $30 each!! Of course, we had to check it out and they were in great condition. Sweeeet! Here is a link to the tables at World Market.  Thanks to Craig’s List, we now have new {to us!} matching tables in our family room!
Another fun part of the room is the Gallery Wall above the couch.  This was fun to put together. I used all things we already had! It’s very mis-matched, which I like. The middle frame is a regular 16x20 inch frame from Hobby Lobby that I sprayed with chalk spray paint on the glass to make it a chalk board! I’ve enjoyed writing different verses on it from week to week! It really does work well…this was my first time using chalk spray paint & it’s amazing how well it works!

IMG_8402IMG_8414

If you’ve ever read any of my previous posts,  you know by now that I love furniture/decorations that have a story behind them! This cute green milk jug was my grandmother’s from the 1940’s or 1950’s! While cleaning out her old shed, we came across some pretty cool antiques that I fell in love with! I used a 50% off coupon at Michaels, to buy the silk flowers to set inside. Perfect.
And, finally, last my not least our little t.v. stand.  You know by now that we never buy anything unless there’s a coupon or a sale.  Well, this little stand actually came from WalMart of all places! It’s worked well for us. We’ve had for about 2 years or so.

Thanks for reading all about our favorite room in the house!
Have a Magnificent Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so beautiful!! I am definitely going to have to try the chalkboard spray paint! Where did you find it? Michaels??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could get it from Hobby Lobby or Michaels, but I got mine from Home Depot. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. your house is gorgeous! I love home tours (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been looking for family room ideas for quite some time and i love what you have done here and this is how I am doing my family room now, thank you so much for this

    ReplyDelete