Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New & Improved Bathroom {Sneak Peek!}

Since our guest bedroom is COMPLETE, I decided to tackle our hall bathroom this past weekend!
Previously, the bathroom had a cream color paint that matched the cream colored tile.  I just put a few things I already had up on the walls temporarily to cover up the bareness & hope that it worked until I had time to put some thought into this space!
Here is our little bathroom the day we moved in….. when the toilet overflowed and created a river of water down the hall!
Bathroom collage
Haha.. and my sweet family helping clean up the mess! Oh, the joys of home ownership!

So, last weekend I decided to PAINT this little “fleshy” colored bathroom.  Since we’ve painted lots of rooms in our house, I figured I’d save us a little moo-la $$ and create my own color for the bathroom by mixing the paints we already had.  This ended up being a success, but during the paint mixing process, I got a little nervous. My plan was to mix a light cobalt blue color paint… instead, I ended up with GRAY
It all worked out in the end, thankfully!

I’ve also been working on a few DIY projects to make this bathroom look a little better than it did before!
After a little garage sale-ing & shed/closet digging I found a few items that I think I like…

The first project is this sweet little Vanity Bench.  This was originally my grandmother’s and it matched a vanity dresser that she had.  Unfortunately, the dresser suffered from water damage, so I couldn’t keep it to refinish.  I saved the bench and gave it some LOVE to make it new again!
vanity bench
I had my sweet husband cut a new board for the seat.  I used 3 inch foam and batting to cover the board.  I couldn’t find any fabric that I loved, but I found some sheets at Marshall’s that I liked the pattern.  So, I used this as my fabric instead.  I secured the batting and fabric with a staple gun, then nailed the seat into the legs.  And, there she is… Good as new!
{Total cost: $10.00 approximately for the sheets (fabric) and batting. The foam was given to me by a friend who had extra & the bench was my grandmother’s.  I already had the spray paint.}

My next little DIY project is this lovely garage sale picture frame.  Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture, but you can see the final result!
Here she is..
I spray painted the frame white and used a customized printable from For Chic Sake, which was free! The frame had some weird suede on it and it looked strange after I spray painted it. So, I covered it with burlap strips & added a fabric flower.
{Total Cost: $2.00 for the frame at the garage sale.  I already had the paint & fabric.  Sweeeeet.}

And finally, I am SO excited about my new Burlap Valance for the window!
I’m giddy with excitement! I love the way it turned out and it was free… even better. I took pictures along the way of making it, so I’ll share them later! I got the idea from this blog via Pinterest!
{Total Cost: F.R.E.E. since I had all the materials already!}

We’re heading to Puerto Rico for my cousin’s wedding this weekend, but I’ll share the full bathroom AFTER pictures when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. It looks so good, Bethany! Love how resourceful you are. And I'm a fan of the new blog topper too! Have fun in Puerto Rico. Hope it's a relaxing and fun family getaway.