Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemade Croutons & Salad Dressing

Now, just to be clear, recipes are not my area of expertise…actually, nothing that I share on this blog is my area of expertise.  I just enjoy it all A LOT & want any readers that stumble upon my little space on the world wide web to enjoy it, too!
Today, I wanted to share a few of my favorite recipes that I’ve enjoyed making over the years…
Homemade croutons
I love making these because they are GOOD and they taste better than the store bought, in my opinion. Once they are baked, they are still crispy, but not too crispy that you can’t stick your fork through them while eating your salad…And, it’s a great way to use up your sandwich bread that won’t be good for a few more days in the pantry! Lots of good reasons to make them, so let’s get on with the recipe!
Homemade Croutons:
8 to 10 slices of sandwich bread (bread that is a few days old is best)
1 stick of butter
2 tbsp. oil
garlic powder to taste

1. Using a serrated knife, cut the crust off each slice of bread.
IMG_9150
2. Then, cut into cubes.
IMG_9166
3. Spread out onto a baking sheet. Place some parchment paper under to protect your cookie sheet.
IMG_9175
4. Melt butter in microwave and add oil.
IMG_9178
5. Using a brush, dip in the butter/oil mix and brush generously onto each bread cube. Turn over and brush the other side, as well. 
IMG_9180
6. Sprinkle garlic powder on both sides of the bread cubes. (Lots of it for a great taste!)
IMG_9183
7. Bake at 350 degrees in oven until golden brown. (Approximately 10 minutes depending on the oven). Move to a plate to cool.
IMG_9195
8. Enjoy your yummy salad!
IMG_9196

Directions:
Using a serrated knife, cut the crust off each slice of bread.  Then, cut into cubes.
Spread out bread cubes onto a baking sheet. Place some parchment paper under to protect your cookie sheet.
Melt butter in microwave and add oil. Stir together.
Using a brush, dip in the butter/oil mix and brush generously onto each bread cube. Turn over and brush the other side, as well.
Sprinkle garlic powder on both sides of the bread cubes. (Lots of it for a great taste!)
Bake at 350 degrees in oven until golden brown. (Approximately 10 minutes depending on the oven).
Move to a plate to cool for a few minutes.
Enjoy your yummy salad!

And, one more recipe for today…one of my all time favorites:
Homemade Salad Dressing
This dressing is light and delicious. It tastes good on any salad, but it especially goes well with fruit filled salads like mandarin oranges, strawberries, and throw in some avocado and sugar coated walnuts or almonds.  Major YUM!
One of my Mom’s best friends uses this recipe for her Mandarin Orange Salad & I’ve used it for years since she gave it to me.
Homemade Salad Dressing:
2 Tablespoons of oil
2 Tablespoons of vinegar
2 Tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Combine all ingredients into a jar.  Shake well for a few minutes.  (Be sure to shake just before you pour over salad.) Add to salad & enjoy!
IMG_9187IMG_9199

4 comments:

  1. I agree homemade salad dressing is the best! I will have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so yummy beth! i will have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those croutons look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves croutons! I can't wait to try to make these!

    ReplyDelete